Monday, July 2, 2012

Curiocity Kills the Cat (and invite legal action too)

Be the least curious when you get an email from any of your contacts.

I received an email from one of my lovedone's email ID, which wrote:

Hope you get this on time, I made a trip to Spain, Madrid and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and credit cards in it. The embassy is willing to help by letting me fly without my passport, I just have to pay for a ticket and settle Hotel bills. Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to lend me some quick funds that I can give back as soon as I get in. I really need to be on the next available flight.


I can forward you details on how you can get the funds to me. You can reach me via email or hotel front desk phone, the numbers are, + 3 four 9 six 2 four 6 three 1 four 9 .

Let me know if you can be of any help.


(loved one's name)

The Email ID appeared authentic. Even the name was correct. I decided to reply but cautiously. I replied:

Did you contact your home? If not, I can surely make a call and ask them to get in touch with you ASAP...
 The person on the other side understood that I am not so stupid. So, the person replied:

I really appreciate your reply to my call for help, I need 1,550 euro to cover my expenses and get a flight ticket back home, You can have the funds sent at any Western Union agent location.


Here are the details you will need


(loved one's name)
Plaza callao 1,
Madrid,
Spain

Keep me posted

Thanks


It might sound embarrassing telling you that I don't have access to make or receive calls at the moment.
All I need now is for me to know whether you could help me or not


Even in 2nd email, the sender (appearantly my loved one, who know my name), asked me to send EURO 1550 (a lakh or rupees) did not address me with my name, and I was sure, this was a fake mail. In 1st mail the sender wants me to call on a number and in reply says, he/she does not have access to phone.

All I want to say is, lets not be curious. Remember curiocity kills the cat. Just search on google with the number in the mail and you will get a thread which confirms this is a fake mail.

Think twice before you answe a call from an uknown number, think 100 times before clicking a link in your email.

Thanks for reading, and please share this. Sending money out of India is also illegal.  You may invite FERA related issues.  Lets make sure our loved ones are safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment